I usually despise negative painting since I get so lost with it and don't have the patience to continue adding layers and layers. I usually use a photo reference and try to follow the patterns exactly thinking it would be easier that way. Well, not, it's easier to just do the patterns from one's head as I did in this painting of "Fuchsias" (11x15 inches). As I kept adding more layers, new leaves revealed themselves to me. All I had to do was accentuate the edges with darker washes. I think I will use this approach from now on.
My favorite flower to paint is definitely poppies. I went with more orange ones this time. I am trying to practice more negative painting but don't think I have the patience ha! I did do some here. Sometimes I have trouble figuring out how to convert a negative shape into a positive shape (for example the flower stems) but I think overall this painting ended up decent.
For day 6 of "30 Paintings in 30 Days" I painted some daffodils using acrylics on matboard (approx. 8x10 inches). Keeping it simple on weekends when I have a lot less time to paint.
"Daffodils" - acrylic on matboard (approx. 8x10 inches)
Keeping it simple during the weekend, here's my little painting of purple flowers in acrylics (approx. 8 x 10 inches). I am trying a simple approach to florals in acrylics and hope to do more like this this month.
So here is day 4 of "30 Paintings in 30 Days." I have no idea what kind of flower this is but I loved the original reference picture and beautiful purple colors.
"Purple sunset" - watercolor on watercolor paper (15x22 inches)
Here it is, my painting for the 3rd day of "30 Paintings in 30 Days." It is a watercolor of coneflowers on watercolor paper (22x15 inches). Originally I was planning on doing small paintings in acrylics but I've been going with the flow and continued doing these larger watercolor florals. I may switch to acrylics in a while if I get bored.
Here is my effort for today. A watercolor painting of lilies on watercolor paper (22x15 inches). I used Dr. Ph Martin's watercolors for this one. I started with the orange lilies wet on wet and liked where it was going. Then I did the background in ultramarine blue and some shades of green but then it got too dark for my liking so I used a stencil to add texture. I kinda like it. Let me know what you think about it. I think next time I will make the texture softer.
I have forgotten to update my blog about this. A month or so ago I found out that two of my watercolor paintings won Honorable Mention at the Soho 2015 Spring Painting Contest hosted by Jerry's Artarama. I won gift cards for more art goodies :) which are always welcome!
These are the two paintings that won:
So here I am again participating in Leslie Saeta's "30 Paintings in 30 Days" challenge. For this month my hope is to paint mostly florals in both acrylics and watercolors. My goal is to get loser in both mediums. I have a ton of small pieces of acid-free matboard that I will be using for the acrylic paintings. As always my paintings are available for sale so send me an Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in any of them. Also, do not forget to follow me on my Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/mirizacom
Here is my painting for Day 1: "Poppy field", watercolor on watercolor paper (22x15 inches). I used mostly Dr. Ph Martin's for the vibrant reds and purples and also my beloved green-gold from Turner watercolors.
"Poppy field", watercolor on watercolor paper (22x15 inches)
Woohoo! Today I got good news that I've won a Honorable Mention in the 2015 Lukas Winter Painting contest sponsored by Jerry's Artarama with my painting of a pair of baby swallows in watercolor. I entered the contest the last day and I'm so glad I did.